What makes a Leader a Leader?
- “a high level of activity inhibition (self control)”
- “anyone who influences a group toward obtaining a particular result”
- “a commitment to persist”
- “ a person who does things right and more importantly does the right things”
Just because an organization has no single leader…does not mean it has weak leadership….group leadership can be effective.
- “a leader must have drive, achievement, motivation, ambition, energy, tenacity and initiative, honesty, integrity, self-confidence”
- “a leader has power”
Power = Concentration (Focus)
Concentration= Elimination of Distraction
Distraction= Mismanaged Commitments
Are these traits or characteristics that leaders are born with or can they be learned?
What is a “born” salesman?
Things to Try:
- Capture everything on your mind—business and personal. Sort it into three categories
a. Is there some action I can take on it and if so what is the desired outcome?
b. Is it a useful reference that I can both retrieve and use in the future?
c. If neither a nor b then it is trash and should be discarded.
- Keep track of the actionable items by reviewing periodically and do the actions identified.
- If two or more people meet then actionable items, people responsible and delivery dates should be assigned. There always needs to be an agreed upon next step.